Myofasical Pain Relief
Are you experiencing stiff or tight muscles? Myofascial pain can take many forms and can cause some undesirable limits to your daily life. When the myofascia becomes tight, it is important to get it back to its normal elastic form, in order to relieve pain and improve function.
That’s where physical therapy comes in. When you are experiencing myofascial pain, our Orchard Park physical therapists can create a treatment plan for you that will help you find relief. Myofascial pain is commonly treated through a technique called myofascial release, which is a form of massage performed by our physical therapist that focuses on specific pressure points, in order to relieve pain and ease tension in your muscles.
If you are experiencing myofascial pain, contact Orchard Park Progressive Physical Therapy today. We’ll help you get started on the first steps toward relief.
Myofascial Pain Syndrome and additional conditions:
One of the biggest causes of myofascial pain is Myofascial Pain Syndrome. This is a specific chronic condition that places pressure on your trigger points, or sensitive points in your muscles. This can result in either pain in the affected muscle or “referred pain,” meaning that discomfort is felt in seemingly unrelated parts of the body.
This is the most commonly treated condition through myofascial release, and it can affect many of the muscles. The trigger points for your myofascial pain are determined and then massaged out.
Some common symptoms of Myofascial Pain Syndrome include:
- Pain that persists or worsens
- Aches and pains deep in the muscle
- Tenderness in the muscles, typically accompanied by knots
- Difficulty sleeping due to pain
In addition to Myofascial Pain Syndrome, there are additional conditions affecting the myofascia that can either develop in tandem or on their own. These conditions also result in myofascial pain and can be treated with myofascial release, in addition to any other treatments our Orchard Park physical therapist deems fit. These conditions include:
- Chronic headaches/migraines. Myofascial release has also been known to relieve the pain of chronic headaches and migraines by massaging the tightened muscles around the head and neck.
- Venous insufficiency. Myofascial release can help reduce the amount of blood pooled in the veins and allow for more efficient blood flow, decreasing the pain felt in the veins.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder. The muscles around the jaw are massaged out through myofascial release in many patients with temporomandibular joint disorder. This decreases pain and inflammation, as well as increases mobility.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. Patients with carpal tunnel syndrome can benefit from myofascial release by having the muscles in their hands, wrists, and/or arms massaged out, in order to improve function and mobility.
- Fibromyalgia. This condition can also cause stiffness in multiple muscles. The affected areas will be determined and then massaged out.
- Injury. Injuries can also cause stiffness. The affected area will be massaged out to loosen up the muscles and allow for a quicker healing process.
Getting started on treatments:
If you are living with Myofascial Pain Syndrome or one of the other conditions listed above (or you think you might be), contact our Orchard Park physical therapy office today to schedule your consultation. At Orchard Park Progressive Physical Therapy, we are dedicated to getting to the root of your problem so you can find long-term relief. Scheduling a consultation is the first step to figuring out what the nature of your condition is and what the best course of treatment will be for you.
We understand how inhibiting myofascial pain can be, and we want to help get you back to comfortably living your life. Contact Us Today at Orchard Park, NY Center to get started on the first steps of your treatment plan!